Rosemary Beaton studied at The Glasgow School of Art (1981-86) at a time when great emphasis was put on teaching drawing and highly figurative painting was re emerging. She was in 1st year when Stephen Campbell; Adrian Wiszniewski ; Ken Currie and Peter Howson were in their 4th year. Among her contemporaries were Mary Maclean; Alison Harper; Lesley Burr; Margaret Hunter and Helen Flockhart. Whilst still a student in third year she was the first Scot and youngest person to win the prestigious John Player National Portrait Award (now BP) in 1984, followed by GSA Alumni Alison Watt in 1987 and Allan Ramsay in 1988.
|1986||Post Graduate Diploma in Fine Art, Highly Commended and|
|1985||B.A. Hons. Fine Art, First Class. Glasgow School of Art. Glasgow.|
|2018||Samson & Co publishes an illustrated book on the work of Rosemary Beaton|
Working with Henry Boot Developments ltd. Providing a series of workshops at the Howden Park centre, Livingston and a piece of public art for Almondvale Place for 2017.
|2014||Present and Future. Entrance Art Work comprising 50m x 25m grass waves and 2 steel heads measuring 3m each at Prime Four, Aberdeen.|
|2006||West End Window. 11m x 2.2m Stained Glass Window on Ashton Lane, Glasgow. Rosemary Beaton and Alec Galloway. Commissioned by Palisade Properties Plc.|
|2004||The Brewery Cat Steel Railing; measuring 50m to mark the regeneration of Alloa town centre. Commissioned by Clackmannanshire Council. More Information.|
|2004||The Brewery Cat. A Public Art Schools’ Project, Alloa. Commissioned by Clackmannanshire Council.|
|2000||7ft Cacti Mosaic. The Atrium, Byres Road, Glasgow. Commissioned by Palisade Properties Plc|
|2016||Group exhibition.Lemond gallery,Glasgow|
|2015||September Song, Rodger Billcliffe Gallery , Glasgow|
|2015||8 Scottish Artists, Lemond Gallery, Glasgow|
|2012||400 Women in Holland. Sugar City, Amsterdam.|
|2011||400 Women. Edinburgh Festival, Edinburgh.|
|2010||400 Women. London.|
|2008||Venice. Vaila Fine Art, Shetland – Including Lesley Burr and Alison Harper. Vaila Fine Art, Glasgow Girls|
|2007||Watersongs. McLean Museum and Art Gallery, Greenock – Including Alec Galloway, Jack Knox, James D Robertson and Pamela So.|
|2005||Monumental Women. Boundary Gallery, London – Including Alison Harper, Anita Klein, Niki de Saint Phalle and Paula Rego.|
|2004||Love. Vaila Fine Art, Lerwick, Shetland – Including Lesley Burr and Alison Harper.|
|2003||Sons and Mothers. Colins Gallery, Strathclyde University, Glasgow.|
|2003||Drawing from Experience. Rodger Billcliffe Gallery, Glasgow.|
|2002||Glasgow Girls. Shetland Museum, Lerwick, Shetland.|
4 Glasgow Girls. Boundary Gallery, London.
|2000||Marie R/Many Images of a Queen. Bourne Fine Art, Edinburgh.|
|2000||The Body is Still a Good Read. Pentagon Centre, Glasgow – Including Jennifer McRae, Alison Harper, Cathy Richmond and Diana Leslie.|
|1998||Venus Flower Basket. Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.|
|1998||Dutch/German Touring Exhibition of Contemporary Scottish Art. Kumlus Gallery, Maasticht; World Trade Centre, Amsterdam and Aachen.|
|1998||Tongues of Diamond. Collins Gallery, Glasgow; City Gallery, Leicester and Smith Gallery, Stirling.|
|1997||5 Glasgow Girls. Boundary Gallery, London|
|1995||The Hunting Art Prizes. Royal College of Art, London.|
|1995||The Continuing Tradition, 75 years of Painting at Glasgow School of Art. Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow.|
|1994||4 Glasgow School of Art Lecturers. Glasgow School of Art, Glasgow.|
|1993||Celebration-New British Art. Coode-Adams Martin Associates, London.|
|1993||Glasgow Group Developments. Intermedia Gallery, Glasgow.|
|1992||Glasgow Group. Queens Hall, Edinburgh.|
|1992||The Portrait. Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal.|
|1992||13 Scottish Women Artists. Dunfermline District Museum, Dunfermline.|
|1992||Ten Years of the John Player Portrait Award. National Portrait Gallery, London.|
|1990||Rosemary Beaton and Alison Harper. Boundary Gallery, London.|
|1990||Anchored in Figuration. The Arches, Glasgow.|
|1989||Rosemary Beaton and Mary MacLean.
Festival Exhibition, Step Gallery,
|1989||8 Women Artists. Perth Festival of Arts, Perth Museum and Art Gallery, Perth.|
|1986||The Glasgow Girls - 5 Group Show. Boundary Gallery, London.|
|1986||Rank Zerox. UK Travelling.|
|1985||New Contempories. UK Travelling.|
|1984||Athena International. Mall Galleries, London.|
|1984||John Player National Portrait Award Exhibition. National Portrait Gallery, London.|
The National Portrait Gallery, London; The British Broadcasting Corporation;
Motherwell District Council, Glasgow;
BBC Productions Tutti Fruitti and Paris; Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP, London; Phillip A Bruno, New York;
Micasa Apart Hotel, Aberdeen and The Grace of The Birch. Collection for the Ward Block, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow.
|2006-2017||Life Drawing and Painting Tutor. Glasgow School of Art; Continuing Education.|
|2008-2017||Visiting Painting Tutor. The Essential School of Painting, London.|
|2013-2014||Artist in Residence. Kingswell, Aberdeen.|
|2006-2008||Artist in Residence/ Drawing Tutor. Glass Department, Edinburgh College of Art.|
|1990-1997||1st& 2nd Year Tutor. Painting Department, Glasgow School of Art.|
|1985||On the Judging panel of the National Portrait Award 1985.NPG,London.|
- Drawing and painting,Materials & Techniques for contemporary Artists.Kate Wilson,Thames&Hudson
- The Grace of The Birch. Art Nature Healing, 2011. Book to accompany the Stobhill Collection. Published by Stewarts of Edinburgh.
- Who’s Who in Art, 2009.
- Self build and design, March 2008. Text: Eleanor Wilde. Photographs: Nigel Rigden.
- The Glasgow Group 1958-2008. Book published to coincide with the 50th Anniversary Exhibition at the Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow, 2008.
- Watersongs. McLean Museum and Art Gallery Publication, 2007.
- Scottish Painting, 1837 to the Present. William Hardie.
- Seven Days Cover Story. Barry Didcock, Sunday Herald, 8th April 2007. Herald Article April, 7, 2007
- Making a Scene. Jennifer Harper, The Herald, 18th March 2006.
- Sons and Mothers. Collins Gallery Publication.
- Pentagon Centre News, June 2000. A body of work by the Pentagon Five.
- Many Images of a Queen. Ian McFarlane Publication. Marie R, 2000.
- The Body is Still a Good Read. Giles Sutherland, The Times, May 2000.
- Tongues of Diamond. Elizabeth Mahoney, The Scotsman, 28/1/99.
- Tongues of Diamond. Collins Gallery Catalogue, Sandy Moffat, 1999.
- A Lore Unto Themselves. The Herald, 13th February 1999.
- Storming the Citadel. Clare Henry, The Herald, 13th March 1997.
- Journey Into Outer Space. The Glasgow Herald, 15th May 1997.
20th Century Portraits. Robin Gibson and Honor Clerk. NPG London. 1993.
- Front page, The Sunday Times Review 31/5/92.
- Festival Feature. 13 Scottish Women Artists. Pittencrieff House Museum, Dunfermline Publication, 1992.
- The Portrait Award 1980-1989.National Portrait Gallery publication1992.
- 8 Women Artists. Perth Museum and Art Gallery Publication, 1989.
- Glasgow Girls. Mary Rose Beaumont, Art Review, November 1987.
Front Page, 6/7/84
Arts Review (Magazine)
Front Page 25/10/1985.
Arts Review (Magazine)